Need some work done? Post a Project Today
Attention Scriptlance users, Scriptlance has been acquired by Freelancer.com! Find out more
We use a third party solution to perform this task at present but we would like to expand the functionality with a solution of our own. Here are the basics -
Ecommerce platform: Magento
Product Data files: CSV accessed via FTP
Do all CSV columns have the same name: No
How many different files: Right now 20
What type of product data do you wish to import: Product data for the purpose of creating new products and inventory data to update our 'on hand quantity' which is displayed on our live web store
How often do you need to update the store: Every 24 hours
Ideally, we'd like a solution that performs as follows. We'll call the solution ProductImport (PIMP!) for this case scenario.
1. We create a vendor in Magento
2. We create an attribute set relating to this vendor in Magento
3. We create the vendor in PIMP and confirm the attribute set from Magento to be used with this vendor
4. We specify the location of the vendors CSV files (generally there are two) for both product data and inventory updates and provide the credentials in PIMP
5. PIMP confirms it can access the remote file and returns the columns headers in the CSV file
6. In PIMP, we map the headers in the CSV file to the attributes contained in the attribute set for this vendor
7. PIMP imports the data and pushes it into Magento
8. Same occurs for the vendors inventory file although an attribute set will not need to be assigned as the fields in Magento for inventory quantity and so on are the same for any vendor
1. What happens if the product has been updated directly in Magtento. Should we overwrite?
For product data - no. For inventory related info - yes.
2. What happens if the product is no longer in the CSV file and still present in Magento?
PIMP should delete the product record from Magento.
3. What if PIMP fails to connect to the supplier or Magento? Be good to see an error report or some sort of failure notification.
4. What if you no longer do business with the supplier? They need to be removed from PIMP.
We are open to suggestions as to how this should be built - externally hosted solution or an extension in Magento. You MUST have experience with Magento and flat file extraction. Its a pretty common practise but I don't want to be someones guinea pig project =)
G'day! Freelancer.com.au is the world's largest outsourcing and crowdsourcing marketplace for small business with professionals and growing! Australian small businesses can connect to our global labour pool just by posting a project! We connect users all around the world, from Canberra to Calcutta, Perth to Peru, Sydney to Sri Lanka and Melbourne to Mumbai.
The Freelancer.com.au talent pool is endless with skill sets ranging from programming, web and graphic design, SEO, SEM, the sciences, engineering, writing, data entry, accounting and legal services to name just a few. Our freelancers are ready and waiting to bid on your project right now and the average job size is under $200! You can find freelancers to design your logo, build your website, add a shopping cart and have your website up and running in just a week.
Are you looking to find freelance jobs or make money indirectly through our online affiliate programs? Sign up now and get started making money immediately!
Freelancer.com.au takes many measures to ensure your safety and security on the site. There is a secure milestone payment system and an online dispute system to protect your interests.
© Copyright 2013 Freelancer Technology Pty Limited (ACN 142 189 759)
Freelancer ® is a registered Trademark of Freelancer Technology Pty Limited (ACN 142 189 759)