Last year, I decided to write and design an online autobiographical comic strip, in a similar vein as Harvey Pekar's 'American Splendour'. The idea was to create a series of very mundane, drab but true to life comic strips that we based on moments in my life. They could be funny, they could be sad - but more often they were to be just moments from life that held little to no significance but that could be seen, from a specific perspective, as a document from the day-in-the-life of an ordinary, unimportant, working class man nearing his thirties.
I paused the project as I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it. I managed a website where each strip was published but it didn't gain much traction.
The point isn't to use this as a vehicle for anything other than as a personal project. It'll be submitted places and have an online presence, which I'll try to grow, but ultimately should be viewed as in the meantime as a zine-like online strip that maybe, in future, will be turned into something bigger.
I used to produce two strips a week with an artist pal of mine. I'd write the stories/scripts and he'd then illustrate them. He'd use photos of me, friends, animals, buildings from photos I'd give him that were taken of the real people and places that featured in the scripts. He would then design them in his own way and produce the strips - having a great deal of creative control in the process.
WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
Initially, I'd like to hire one artist for the work, but over time I'd like to add a few more to the team.
- I'd like to find somebody, with a bit of spare time, who could produce a comic strip every two weeks to begin with, then upping the workload to possibly one a week or even two depending on circumstances.
- I'd like to find someone with whom I could email over a script during the week and have a comic ready a few days after.
- I'd like to find an artist who'd be interested working long term on this project, who'd be interested in contributing to the project as they go, but who could also fit it around their other work commitments and daily life.
- I'd like someone who can use reference photos I'd send them, and turn them into characters and background that are stylistically consistent.
- I need somebody who can bring their own ideas to the table and recreate the real world in cartoon form from my scripts.
Please find attached a selection of the comics from the original series to give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm looking for. I don't want the characters and style to be recreated, I want whoever I hire to bring their own style, colours and humour to the project.
I'd like to agree to an initial fixed price per comic strip. We could agree one a price for fewer frames and another price for longer frames. As time goes on, if we enjoy working together and develop a good working relationship, I'd be happy to increase payments.
The budgeted price is really all I can afford currently, and is just a rough guide of what I can pay per comic strip. Please apply with quotes and proposed prices for each comic strip.
There's still much to be discussed, but if you're reading this and have a few spare hours a week to produce short strips, for a bit of extra cash, please get in touch and we can discuss the project further!