Leading Resources, Inc. is seeking a Ruby on Rails developer to perform updates to our proprietary web-based software located at GoStraightTalk dot com. Candidates should be familiar with Rails v2.3.18 as well as modern frameworks. The site is hosted on Rackspace, and will be moving to LightSail.
In addition to updating syntax and method calls, one 'point release' at a time, the noteworthy phases and milestones are:
1. Writing baseline tests to help catch bugs as they arise
2. Converting 'plugin' code to modern, compatible formats
3. Eliminating code not being used
4. Converting the webserver software (not the whole server itself, but the part of rails that serves web pages. mongoid to puma, I believe)
A substantial challenge will be the conversion of plugins, using one of the following strategies:
- Convert to a gem
- Replace with a superior, community-supported and maintained gem
- Rolled directly into the app
There's no preference between these three methods besides speed and ease of application. If needed, we are willing to share backend information before we begin the contract, but require a basic NDA.
Note: We are satisfied with the current design, and while ideally we want better style matching (we have a mockup) with our corporate website ([login to view URL]) this is not a requirement if the design can be maintained. We are also interested in adding mobile responsive design if this is within your skillset.
Please let us know an estimated timeline of the four phases and milestones for this project.